Friday, March 1, 2013

The New Normal

My life and my schedule have both taken on a "new normal". Eating healthy is now normal, not a diet, working out is normal, spending 10-12 hours a week studying for school is normal. I am a fan of the new normal, well bedsides the school stuff of course, and have really been focusing on how to not become overwhelmed with life's responsibilities.

As cliche as it may sound, I definitely made it a goal to be a healthier me, and reach "MILF" status, in 2013. For some reason I couldn't find the motivation to do it this past fall after having Macy so I made a promise to myself that the beginning of the new year would mean new habits. Having a 7 month old at home I knew I could no longer use the excuse "I just had a baby" or blaming it on baby weight. Nope, I was just unmotivated. Having that time to prepare myself mentally at the end of 2012 has helped me be more successful after the new year.

In conjunction with wanting better habits this year, I also knew that my time would be even more crowded with a more demanding school schedule. I have been in the NP program for 2 years now but those classes have consisted of research projects, papers, and theory classes. Now it's focusing on the good stuff- the patho and pharmacology. I'm taking 7 credit hours this semester and as our professors put it- we should be expected to study 3-5hours PER CREDIT HOUR a week (20-30hrs/week). I also work full time as a nurse, 3 12 hour shifts a week (plus on-call time that is required for my job). Somehow with all of this going on I was even MORE motivated to make time to get healthy and reach that MILF status I want so badly. So I had to make a "new normal".

The key to my success (so far) has been planning ahead and staying organized! Each day of the week is planned as far as when I will work out, what I will accomplish with school, and even what I eat. The first month my goal was to work out 3 days a week, which I was able to do with ease, and so I've since upped it to 4. I didn't want to "bite off more than I could chew" in the beginning and I have rarely felt overwhelmed- the more I workout the more I crave it!

How I manage it all:

Mondays- 6am gym sesh then off to work 12 hrs, homework that night after Macy is down

Tuesdays- Day off! (kind of) Babysitter comes over from 10-1 while I spend a couple hours at the library focusing on my patho assignments. The rest of the day is spent playing with sweet Macy girl and doing housework. In the evening her and I head to the gym for my favorite class and she plays in the nursery. Tuesday evenings after the gym are a little hectic between getting her fed/down, making dinner, etc but its so worth it!

Wednesdays- Work 12hrs, study/read after Macy goes down

Thursdays- Spin class at 6am- love it! Then work 12 hrs, possibly do homework after Macy goes down for the night

Fridays- Sitter comes over, I head to gym early then straight to class from 9-11. Rest of the day is spent playing with Macy and doing housework while she naps.

Saturdays- Gym in the morning as a family then head to the library to get everything else done for the week (if I haven't been able to accomplish it during the week). I do my best to get everything done during the week so I can have the weekends off!

Sunday- Day off! No gym, no school work. Just family time, usually do some grocery/food prepping, laundry house work etc. I meet with my discipleship group in the mornings and church in the evenings. A lovely day of relaxing, rejuvenation and time with God!


As long as I stay organized and faithful to my schedule I can manage to accomplish everything I need to with out feeling overwhelmed. I truly feel I have found a good balance between being a mommy to my sweet angel, working, going to school and making it a priority to be healthy. 


It is all worth it for these 2 sweetie pies, my everything!

1 comment:

  1. I totally relate this! I'm a first time mama to a beautiful 6 month old baby boy -- and I'm just now feeling ready to address some weight loss and making healthy choices a part of my life for good.

    ReplyDelete