Monday, March 11, 2013

Yummy Eats

We all know the key to weight management starts with what you eat. In the past when I have lost weight I did it more so by calculating calories in/calories out. How those calories were consumed (pizza, apples, Lean Cuisine) didn't matter. And at the time it worked. However, the older I get the more I am considered with being healthy and wanting to fuel my body with more nutrients and less processed yucky stuff. Also, when I stopped counting calories the weight would come right back on. Now I don't count calories at all, instead I just fuel my body with the stuff it needs.

Other's blogs and Pinterest have been my two main sources for yummy ideas on what to eat, recipes, and more. For me, being prepared is what keeps me on track. So I must constantly have ready-to-eat yummy healthy items available at all times. To be honest, its exhausting. There was nothing I hated more a couple months ago than going to the grocery store. Now I have to go every week. I also hated cooking and packing my lunch before bed- but I knew that being healthy would come with more work, and in the end it is so worth it!

Sundays are my favorite time to food prep and if I don't have time to do it then, I usually try to when I can on Tuesdays.

Below are some of my favorite eats so:


Egg whites with lean breakfast turkey sausage and fruit



Yummy delicious No Bake Energy Balls



Pesto Quinoa Salad



Skinny Chicken Salad: Traditional chicken salad recipe but substitute mayo for plain nonfat Greek yogurt



Taco chili (made with ground turkey) found on Pinterest



Got to love a taco salad! Made with ground turkey and reduced sodium taco seasoning.
Homemade guac (the easy way): 2 avocados, 1 lime, 1 container of fresh pico de gallo, and salt and pepper to taste




"Salsa Chicken" Just baked chicken breast with salsa on top. So easy! Served with fiesta lime rice
Egg muffins- also so easy! Egg whites, veggies, lean turkey bacon or sausage. Bake at 350 degrees for 25min.





Chicken tortilla soup in the crock pot. Sliced avocado on top instead of cheese.
1lb shredded chicken (I just put in frozen breasts and shredded at the end), 1 large can whole tomatoes,1 can enchilada sauce, 1can black beans, 1 10oz package of corn, 1 small can green chiles, 1 can chicken broth, medium onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 cups water, 1 tsp of: cumin, chili powder, salt. I threw it all in the crock pot for about 7 hours. It was delish!



Stuffed Peppers -cheese for the hubby, none for me.



Grilled chicken, asparagus and mashed cauliflower "potatoes". Not going to lie- the cauliflower was not my favorite! Still searching for a good recipe.



Spaghetti squash and ground turkey marina- one of my all time faves! Spaghetti squash is so dang easy. I cut it in half, put one of the halves in a microwave safe bowl with a touch of water and cover with saran wrap. Then zap it for 10 minutes. Take it out and fork out the squash- viola! I do it again with the other half (only 1 side fits in the microwave at a time). 



Yummy delicious "bean soup". I literally threw a couple of things together one day and it was SO YUMMY!
I shredded a rotisserie chicken, added 32 oz reduced sodium chicken broth, a can of: white beans, kidney beans and rotel tomatoes. And then add 1 tbsp of cumin, chili powder, and garlic. Let it simmer then add 4 big handfuls of fresh spinach in the end.


I am still finding recipes each week to add the list. Of course there are more that I have made but these have been my favorite so far. What I look for is: is it A- easy and B- tasty. If it meets both of those requirements than I call it a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment