Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Welcome Jack Hudson

I love reading Macy's birth story, and anyone's for that matter, so I wanted to make sure and write down Jack's before I forget it! 

It's no surprise I was super anxious for the day to come. Before my OB went on vacation we discussed the possibility of me getting induced given my history. She said she would obviously only do it if my body was ready, but that she was definitely open to it after I was 39 weeks. At my 39 week appointment Friday April 8 I saw a different OB who checked me and said I was 2 cm, low, and "definitely ready" for an induction. She put me down for Tuesday the 12th since that would be the first time my OB would be on call back from her vacation. I was actually put on a wait list because the maternity unit already had their max amount of inductions scheduled that day. The OB told me that there is always someone who goes before their induction date so I should be able to go then, but I wouldn't know until Monday. Ugh, of course I hated not knowing/being able to plan. Over the weekend I got ZERO sleep and was up with contractions through out the night that would go away during they day. Even though it was 32 degrees and snowing (literally) on Saturday we went to the mall and the Zoo that day. I HAD to get out and walk. I ended up losing my mucus plug that day which left me on pins and needles thinking labor could come at any time. Monday finally rolled around and by 1pm I got the call that there was an opening for induction the next day. Ahh! Of course I agreed but as soon as I hung up the phone I immediately started doubting it. Was I rushing this by having an induction? Was this what was best for the baby? But, prior to getting that call, I had spent an hour in quiet time with God praying through this pregnancy and delivery, and asking for peace and patience. I felt like God had been with me through this all and to trust the process. I got council from friends who reminded me my OB would not proceed if she didn't think I wasn't ready. I felt at peace and was almost numb the rest of the day. It was so weird knowing I would be meeting our baby the next day!

Surprisingly Monday night I fell asleep immediately. But around 3am I woke up and knew I was up for the day. I laid in bed and looked up scriptures and found a great blog that had prayers to recite through delivery. Finally around 5am I got up and got ready for the hospital. My brother came over around 6:30 am to be with Macy and Kyle and I were at the hospital by 7:15am.  

Last belly shot before getting hooked up.

My OB came in around 9am and checked me. I was still 2 cm and 80% effaced. She went off to clinic and told me she would be back to check me again around noon. My nurse informed me that if I plan on getting an epidural- the sooner the better. Most people ask around noon and if I wait until then there will likely be a long line since there are only 2 anesthesiologists that place them (in a 64 bed unit). I was hooked up to the pitocin around 8:30 and by 9:30 the contractions were pretty intense and I was ready for that epidural! The CRNA (nurse anesthetist) was awesome- military guy that had been doing this for 25 years. The moment the needle was going in my back I thought- wow I hope this goes ok. Its scary having something inserted into your spinal cord, but luckily all was well and I was pretty numb immediately, but could still feel the pressure from the contractions which was perfect. After that Kyle went down to hospital cafeteria to get some breakfast and I "took a nap" aka looked on my phone, read through the scriptures j has saved, and drifted in and out of sleep. Cassy arrived around 11:30 and we hung out until Kyle and my OB showed back up around noon. At that point she checked me again and I was 5 cm. As she was checking me my water broke on its own. This was about 12:25pm. She had to go to a clinic on the north side of town and told me she would come check on me after, and it would likely be time to deliver then. In my mind I was thinking the baby would be coming around 4-5pm. Once she left the room I could hear the baby's heart rate dropping with contractions. I was a little concerned but my nurse said since his heart rate recovered quickly after the contraction there was nothing to worry about. She left the room but returned 5 minutes later and said "ok time to turn to your left side and put on oxygen, I don't like what the baby's heart rate is doing". I tried not to panic and as soon she turned me to my left side I could feel a lot of pressure. She checked me again and I was 8 cm. Mind you, this was about 10 minutes after just being 5 cm! She stayed in the room with me monitoring baby's heart rate and with the next contraction I said "ok there is more pressure!" She checked me again, which I thought was weird because I was JUST 8 cm, but low and behold, I was at a 10 and ready to go. That fast. I was in shock! Within 20 minutes I went from 5 cm to 10 cm. WHAT?? Luckily my OB hadn't left the hospital yet and came back to get things going. By the time they put me in to "position" Jack man was ready to make his arrival. I was literally laughing, because I was in such shock that it progressed so quickly, and my nurse told me "you have to stop laughing, you are pushing him out!". My OB was barely ready and my nurse had to yell at her "You better turn around!" because Jack was coming. I pushed once and his head came out, then pushed again he was here. I was still awkwardly laughing when he came out because I COULD NOT BELIEVE what just happened! He was born at 1:07pm. This was absolutely NOTHING like what happened with Macy.

As soon as his head came out he was already screaming which is always the best noise you can hear. He was placed with me and eventually weighed in at 7 lbs 7.9oz and 21 1/2 inches long. He latched right away and ended up nursing for an hour and half (ouch). 
Macy's twin, for real!
Angel baby, minutes old 

Immediate skin on skin action.
I was up and moving within an hour or so after he was born. I did have a pretty significant tear but the pain was manageable. The visitor restriction hadn't been lifted yet, but would be by the next day. So it was just Kyle, Jack and I the first night. It was nice. I nursed him every 3 hours and sent him to the nursery at night to try and get some sleep in between feedings.

Later in the day, By this time I was exhausted
On Wednesday Kyle left and picked Macy up from school. She was SO excited to meet Baby Brother! She kept squealing "he's so cute!" but surprisingly didn't want to hold him. She spent a few hours with us in our suite but wasn't sad to head home to her mamaw's afterward.
A genuine shot of her excitement. Love my 2 babies!!

Thanks to all who prayed with and for me through out all of this. Literally, every single one of my prayer requests were answered! I was able to delivery vaginally with my OB, Jack and I are both healthy, and Macy got to come to the hospital! Seriously- praise Jesus for all of these answered prayers! 

Brother (Jack's only name around the house) is now 2 weeks old and we are settled in nicely at home. This has been much easier the second time around. He is such a joy and I am just so happy to not be pregnant anymore and have this angel baby in my arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment